By Arianna Prothero
Originally Published November 29, 2023, EducationWeek
K–12 school systems hold a crucial role in cities’ efforts to combat climate change, yet they are often overlooked in municipal climate action plans, according to a report by This Is Planet Ed, an Aspen Institute initiative. The report highlights the missed opportunity for schools to promote climate change literacy, prepare students for clean energy careers, and reduce their own greenhouse gas emissions.
With U.S. public schools collectively operating 480,000 buses and serving 7 billion meals annually, including the production and transport of food, schools can have a substantial impact on municipal climate initiatives when integrated into the equation.
Growing Green Schools Playbook: Empower Your District for Sustainability!
Take the lead in tackling climate change and elevating student success with our sustainability playbook. Inside you’ll discover:
- Inspiring stories from districts nationwide
- A roadmap for building a green committee and sustainability initiative
- Tools for conducting environmental impact audits
- Sample surveys, vision statements, and parent communications
- Engaging lesson plans and more!